Sunday, May 30, 2021

May 30 Talkeetna, Alaska and just thoughts


 Today, we are in a holding pattern. Due to the snow we won't be able to drive the Denali Highway which would have taken 2-3 days to cross. We have decided (well actually Evan decided, I was kind of against it) to take a small plane to fly over Denali tomorrow.  It should be a better day weather wise. Honestly, I'm really not that keen on flying so this is a stretch for my comfort zone. Just FYI...today, Sunday is 10 degrees warmer up here then in Manchester. But, I've heard it's been hot.

Today the sun sets at 11:30 pm and rises  tomorrow at 4:24. Evan is sleeping with blinders on and I just close my eyes; it's quite efficient at keeping the light out. God thought of everything when he created man. Eyelashes, eyebrows and eyelids all serve a purpose. Gosh, you gotta stop and do some wondering sometimes.

This trip has had all the feels for me. Sometimes I think as we sleep in these remote places that we will be harmed and robbed as we sleep.. They truly are quite imposing and lonely. I guess I've lived near one of the crime capitals of the world for too long. Not all people are out to get us. When we ask the Alaskan people about it they say everyone does it and it's not a problem. The people up here couldn't be more friendly and kind. We just love talking to the people we meet and finding out their stories of how they came to live up here. So many times they came up to do a job and just decided to stay. Makes me wonder what their back story is, but I feel it would be rude to ask such probing questions.

Seeing the sunlight shine on these mountains is nothing short of breathtaking. We have camped in some really beautiful places and I'm really grateful for this opportunity, but I'm a 10 day girl. There I said it. I am totally out of my routine but I super enjoy seeing new places, but 10 days is my sweet spot. I'm also grateful I am content with the life I have. I so enjoy my family, my friends and my home. I am asking God to help me enjoy these days and to open my eyes to the things around me.

The Alaska Railroad train goes right behind where we are camping. 

Sometimes we just need to know when to jump off the track and truly experience life. For 10 days at least. Evan and I want to use this down time to ask God what he wants us to do with our lives. We both know that pouring our lives into others is one of the keys to joy and happiness. Yet, to often we live our lives so small, so calculating we lose the wonder and magic of life. And truly God's greatest blessings. I hope i don't sound like I'm grumbling because I'm not really; I'm just thinking as a #2 thinks. I'm a feeler.

Last minute change of plans. We will not be flying tomorrow because we couldn't answer a question they asked about covid in the manner they wanted so they asked us not to fly.

Leaving Talkeetna and heading towards Anchorage. There is a beautiful lake. where we will stay.

Love you all! 

πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•



1 comment:

Tyler said...

10 degrees warmer there than home? Wow, would not have expected that. Enjoying the pictures and looking forward to catching up soon enough.