Tuesday, May 25, 2021

May 25 continued: Bush plane and a walk in an Alaskan woods



 We flew over to Soldonia ( Russian for Herring Bay) via a 1969 Cessna at 10:10 this morning. Great flight and our pilot was a female! I love it! Strong capable women up here in Alaska. It was a beautiful day. Rather warm and a slight breeze.


As I got in the plane I was not to comfortable with the airplane itself. Kinda rusty and banged up, but it flew fine which is the main thing I guess. In all fairness we flew in a cargo bush plane. These planes are workhorses up here bringing supplies and Amazon packages to the remote parts of the state. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.


Stopped in a sweet coffee shop and they had all kinds of homemade breads. The owner employes a wonderful baker and she can really make a nice cinnamon bun. She also makes all the bread and rolls. I was chatting with her asking how she made the croissants cuz I know they take a lot of time. She played around with the recipe and found a shortcut!  Learned she has a confessed passion for baking. They are so blessed to have her. Evan and I both got a coffee and we split the bun. Everything is big in Alaska. After that we took a walk about a mile away to the beach.


It was a walk through the woods.

And the path spilled out onto this beautiful beach. Not the kind you can throw a towel on and sunbathe. Rocks of all sizes fill the "beach". However, beautiful nonetheless for sure. Minus the crowds too!

A cozy cabin in Soldonia.

Here is where I got my Halibut. It was so delicious. Very few times I get a meal out this good. Whenever we asked people where to get a good Halibut they ALL say Captain Pattie's.  Dag-one if they weren't right. Just ask the locals and they will tell you straight!

Some pics from Soldonia. Population about 200. Yikes!!! That's a little to small for me.


That's all for now, and it may be a couple of days before I get a chance to post. Tomorrow we are driving up towards Anchorage and taking a road towards Valdez. Most likely we will be in the boonies with no wifi.
Love you all! 💖💖💖

Tyler, if you read this, give Louisa this! 💙💚💛💜💝💓💔💞


4 comments:

Louisa said...

I love you too Mimi I think about you every day! I love you so so so so so so so so so very much I miss you a lot! Love Louisa!

Taylee Fogarty said...

I love the bright colored buildings! That water looks so refreshing. Though to cold for me to swim in!

joy said...

Sharon how beautiful looks like primal woods. Cool! When you get home you need to read a book my Kristin Hannah called the Great Alone. It takes place in Alaska. I think about that book a lot. It’s very good.

Sharon Fogarty said...

Joy, Whenever I see a picture of me I think how much we look alike.
Taylee, I had to touch the water and it was very cold.Beautiful though for sure.