Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Sept. 16 Train Ride, orange streams, red mountains and old houses

 Through Littleton and Ouray to the campsite. You're probably getting tired of me using words like, beautiful, spectacular, lovely, vast, and such. But my vocabulary is limited, so you'll have to just let me get by. See what I mean? 

The days have been stunning. Warm in the afternoon, cool at night.
Much steeper then it looks in this pic.

Driving on the Million Dollar Hwy (Rt. 550), all the sudden we came to a stream that was orange. Orange as an pumpkin. Flowing wildly over orange rocks. Pools of orange mud. It looked toxic. But looking up the mountains just as suddenly were red. Red and orange mountains next to granite ones. It was odd, but it certainly explained the orange stream. That mountain must have been loaded with iron. Can you imagine the rings in the toilets of the people who live near there?  Water treatment people must have a thriving business in that area.






This area of Colorado is loaded with mining towns. Old mining towns. Once thriving now in ruins. But these houses, though old and dilapidated, tell a story. These houses used to be vibrant with lives and living and life. When I see these homes it makes me wonder about those people who used to call them their homes. I could hear the laughing and see children playing here. These were poor people who worked hard to make a living. So far up the mountain life must have been very hard. 


 I must admit when I took these pictures I had to pause and just wonder of  who lived here many years ago. It was on the sobering side. Life is short. We have one shot at it. One life to get right with God to have eternal glory with our Savior. Eternity is a very LONG time. In fact there is no end it it. It starts when you except Jesus as your Savior. Just ask. It's yours for the asking.





We are now in Silverton in a café as I write this. Later on this morning we drive to hop on board a train ride of a life time, well at least mine. It's going to wind around the mountains and we are in the gondola part of the train. Which means we are on the seat outside. Will have to wait for tomorrows blog to see exactly what I mean


Very strange stream. I guess if one was to swim in it they would come out with a glow of the unusual stain. I still think it looks toxic.

1 comment:

Master Casual said...

You are going to do the Train!!!? Nice. I saw it when I went there but we didn't ride it.