Monday, September 07, 2020

Day 2: September 7, Bueno Vista, CO a bit of altitude sickness and Aspens

 It was good to start the day staying in the same place. After breakfast we headed into town. It's the cutest little town with trendy, but not uppity coffee shops. We tried a new one today



and their coffee was yummy. We headed up the Cottonwood Pass which is only open May thru October. It's a beautiful pass and we drove up about 9 miles and I wasn't feeling all to well; dizziness and kind of  nauseated. I had developed altitude sickness. Evan being the sensitive kind that he is, turned right around and headed back to town. He purchased a can of oxygen and some Gatorade both were to help. It did. We drove up to the Cottonwood Lake and spent a few glorious hours seeing gorgeous mountains, splendid Aspens just on the verge of bursting with color and a crystal clear lake. We walked a bit and I was feeling so fatigued he thought it was best to leave me at the end of the lake while he went to retrieve the truck. The mountains surrounded me, the lake in front of me and I was totally humbled by the mighty hand of God who put all this together. I unashamedly cried as I worshiped and praised God for His awesome creation. (note, I was alone) The above pictures were of the lake and I was standing on that dock.

Little did we know when we planned this trip that the weather would turn. Two days ago it was 105 degrees, tomorrow night will get down to 22 and snow 8 inches! YIKES!!! One lady who lives here said Colorado can get all four seasons in a single day. Tomorrow we plan on staying put right here in the campsite. I will bake some cinnamon swirl muffins to have with our coffee. and we will just hunker down.

One thing for sure, I'm planting my own small grove of Aspens when I get home. Maybe just three! 

This not a great picture of these trees, but in real time they are beautiful. Their white smooth bark and shimmering leaves at the slightest breeze look happy. Maybe they are praising God too.


2 comments:

joy said...

Sharon sorry about your attitude sickness. Our friend Kent went to Peru to climb the mountain with his girls and he ended up staying in the hotel the whole time. Bummer.
I know what you mean about the aspen I also love them. I hope MD is cold enough for you to plant them. I was so taken with them I purchased two prints for my office. I love those trees and also how they quake. Enjoy the rest is your visit. Love reading your blog

Diana said...

Boo on feeling badly! I hope you are all better . I love you