Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Fort Sumpter and a full day riding our bikes around Charleston

After a scrumptious breakfast at the hotel we hopped on our mode of transportation (bikes) and road to the ferry landing. The coffee was yummy!

The ferry deposited us at the fort where we had 1 hour to explore. The fort is not that big so it was sufficient time. We spent most of our time talking with a volunteer guide on the forts history. As it turns out he was a retired medical biologist and had some thoughts on the virus we are all experiencing. He was quite interesting to talk with during our visit.
Cannons petrified where they stood telling a great story of battle and struggle. 
inside the battery
Looking towards Charleston
Since we were the first tour of the day we were able to witness the raising of the American flag. The ranger said, "every morning this flag goes up in the morning and comes down in the evening." he went on to say, "The flag is raised rapidly to symbolize the rapid rise the United Stated in the community of nations and is lowered very slowly to represent all the lives that were lost defending our country." It was quite sobering.
When returning to the landing we went past a tug boat guiding the barge into the harbor. When I learned what the barge was carrying it made me think of the tug being God and the barge being me. The barge was caring sludge dredged from the harbor. It made me think of the barge being me and the tug being God. If the tug boat was not attached to the barge it would sink as it traveled from all the sludge inside. I thank God that he attaches himself to me so I do not sink with all the sludge (sin) in me. He not only carries me, he relieves me of the weight of my sin with his forgiveness. 






After we arrived back on land we road our bikes to a very recommended deli for lunch. We ordered the Citadel Sandwich which is the local favorite. It was delicious. Evan and I split the lunch and were so glad we did. The sandwich was huge! 

This is a picture of the Spanish Moss clinging to the trees. In the graveyard it made for a rather eerie scene

There are some houses in Charleston by the water that are 30,000 sq. ft. As we road by we stopped and talked to one of the workers. He was cleaning the marble on the outside of the building. Actually he was the butler. This isn't the house but it does show how deep they are. The lots are long and narrow, so they build to fit the lot. The Butler's wife came out, she was the chef. We had the most delightful and informative conversation with them. They told us all about their life as full time man/maid-servants. It was like talking to a real life Downton Abbey couple who serve at the beacon call of their "masters".

At the moment it's 4:45 almost time for a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres. Such a civilized way to live. Only thing is, I have to walk all the way down stairs to get it, and carry my own plate. Such is life when one is poor. NOT!!!
I am rich. So stinking rich.
Love you all to the moon and back!
💔💔💔






No comments: