Thursday, March 22, 2007

Life as a Domestic Engineer

I cannot actually say I hate being asked what I have been up to lately, but it is close to the top of my most dreaded questions. Yet, I find myself asking the same question to other people who share my job description. I wonder why I ask the question and why I loathe the question so much. I have a clue as to why on both accounts.
To quote Meg Ryan in the movie “You’ve Got Mail”, “I live a small life; valuable but small. Do I do the things that I do because I like them, or do I do them because I have not been brave”?
Sometimes when people ask me what I have been up to, makes me confront the fact that my life is small and routine. Very, commonly routine, void of a paycheck, monetary bonuses and yearly reviews. Hey, one of my sons, the only working one got a nice gift card for the extra long hours he put in for a few weeks. What’s up with that? I am only truly irked because my eyes are on my fleshly desire to be important in the eyes of the world. However when I remember that my job has eternal rewards and earthly joy; I see it in a different light.
Yes, I do the same things every day. Oh, I mix it up on occasion to keep from feeling like a robot and spiraling down into the depths of despair as I realize the very things I did yesterday need attending to today. Hey, I spent a lot of money to see my clothes spin dry with a money saving, front loading washer. I still get a kick out of knowing I am saving money, using less water and spinning every little drop of water out of my clothes before I hang them up to dry. Yes, I hang up my clothes on a 110’ line that goes from my porch to a huge oak standing in what we call “the lower forty”. I spend most of many afternoons wondering what delicious dinner I will make for my family, and playing Wal-Mart Wal-Mart, Library, Library or Go Fish with my 6 year old. Those are real stimulating games where she insists on scripting my lines as we play. Are you intrigued yet? I could go on if you would like but I believe you have heard enough.
However, the joy and the blessing this job offers is compared to nothing the world has to offer. In bringing these children into the world I was able to assist God in a miracle, I am able to see the fruit of my long hours and feel the peacefulness of my unhurried home almost daily and knowing I am doing the job God has called me to do is beyond description in the way I feel about it. Furthermore, I truly would not change what I do for anything. I love my job and feel privileged to do the tasks that are needed to run a home. Therefore, if anyone out there can help me wrap what I do in a small, interesting, verbal package I would be most grateful because being a stay at home mom is a very brave, honorable thing to do.

1 comment:

Skatergrl said...

"A small, interesting, verbal package", haha, sorry, no help there. I wonder the same thing on a daily basis. I feel like I could tell people who ask that question "ya know what I told you last week? A year ago? Five years ago? Well it's the same now." But I guess that's not altogether true. As a wise woman once told me..."As a wife and mother I have learned it is the highest calling anyone on earth could have. Be it the president of the United States or the most wonderful singer or the greatest talent on stage, being a mom, plain and simple is the best job on earth." Huh, wonder who said that???!!!!=)
Women like you and my mom are making a difference not only in your homes, but in the lives of those around you and you can't put a gift card value on that!! I can't wait to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for being an example to the mothers of the future, with your faithfulness today.

Proverbs 31:10-31

10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Wow, I guess even King Lemuel's mother had a hard time putting it into "a small verbal package", it’s NO small job!!!! Thank you for sharing from your heart. Sorry this comment was so long.....BUT, I'm glad to be the first one to tell you......WELCOME BACK!!!! I love ya and look forward to reading more.