Tuesday, July 11, 2006

and why not?

Because I currently live in an infirmary and germs are rapidly spreading I seek shelter in the corners and recesses of my home. Thank goodness this computer is housed in such a place. Yet, as I dodge this nasty bug, I am thankful it has not bothered me so far. The battle is not over and we fight to rid this place of the enemy lurking behind and in every cough and sneeze. Uck!
We have started a new campaign in lowering our household electric usage. I say we because everyone is expected to comply with this change. It will most likely involve me the most and I am not in the least complaining. The modern conveniences we enjoy as a family and moreover as a nation are convenient to be sure however; they are the very things that create the high cost of energy use. It has gotten way out of hand and I feel it is my personal challenge to see what I can do to lower our usage which will lower our bill. So people will notice lint stuck to our shirts and the wrinkles that are not ironed out by the heat of the drier will most likely be noticeable. Our jeans will be stiff as well as our towels. We will carry critters in the house from time to time as they have clung to the clothes as they dry on the line. Yet, it is okay. The sunshine smell will linger on the clothes and the good feeling of doing things “the old fashion way” will bring me a satisfaction the easy way could not. This simple change causes me to be more in touch with the weather. The phrase “a good laundry day” is used and understood without further explanation. I have replaced warm water for cold when washing clothes and have yet to turn on an air conditioner. And considering my dislike for the three H’s (hazy, hot and humid) the air conditioner will be used when needed. The clothes will suffer however, I will not! That is, unless I am forced to reconsider that thought and will then spend the hottest part of the day at the mall sipping a Chick-fil-a iced-tea; three lemons please.
I must stop writing. 500 watts of power is needed to power this computer and monitor.
God bless.
There’s a big blue sky out there; try hanging up some laundry and you will see it.

2 comments:

Skatergrl said...

Hey There, welcome back!! I have missed reading your posts and found it a wonderful way to end the 10-11 hours of paper work I did today. Hanging out clothes in the great outdoors sounds like fun after spending the last 6 of those hours entering data in the computer!! I don't know how guys with computer jobs do it. LOL. Anyways, I am praying that everyone will be on their feet soon and that God will keep you strong to take care of them while recovering. If you need anything let me know. Good luck on your endeavor. Glad you took a minute to post:-) Love ya!

Sharon Fogarty said...

Amy,
Thanks for your prayers. The sickies may cause us to alter our plans a bit for the weekend; but we will see.
Ugh... that's a lot of hours entering data. Thank goodness not all "computer" jobs are as mundane and dull. Some people like the humdrum of data entry; they make it easy when I go to the net for answers. I'm sure your dad really appreaciates your long hours and hard work.
I missed seeing you yesterday for my puff pastry lesson. I had a fresh made pizza with your name on it. I can't promise it will still be around the next time with my crew. But... I know how to make more!!!