Thursday, July 20, 2006

Presents Now Day; a new concept

Thank you for your prayers for my friend Claude. He is coming home from the hospital today and we still do not know the results of his surgery. I can only pray it is good.
In other news… we were at our friend’s house this past weekend and have a very nice time catching up whit their news. I brought the two girls home with us and they are currently at their grandmom’s and aunt’s house. They will both return on Friday and stay through the weekend.
Tyler has presented us, as a family, with the idea of “Presents Now Day”. It will be celebrated instead of gift giving at Christmas time. That way we can keep Christmas as Christ’s birthday and not have it crowded with the pressure and distraction of buying things. I would like to take it a step further and do some kind of good deed for one another or someone as a gift in Christ’s name and reveal the gift to each other on Christmas morning. For example; volunteering at the mission, working in a soup kitchen, giving money to a person in need anonymously or even washing a brother’s car. We still need to talk this through; but the concept is palatable as well as charitable. It may not be perfect, yet it gets our eyes off self and turns it around towards the needs of others. In that; I think Jesus would be pleased. The true blessing in all of this would be to keep the momentum going all through the year. Any thoughts? Personally, the name Presents Now Day needs tweeking.
Until Jesus returns or I leave this earth, I pray to be his faithful servant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God that Claude made it through surgery. Now I'll be praying for his quick recovery and more importantly for his salvation. Thanks for the update.
Hope the bug has past your home by now and everyone is feeling better.
Bethany

Skatergrl said...

I too will echo my sis in saying that I'm so glad Claude's surgery went well. We were praying for him last night. Please keep us up to date on his progress.
As to Tyler's idea, I think it's a WONDERFUL!!! Christmas tends to get so hectic with trying to get all the superficial stuff done, and so many times it leaves you feeling frustrated. I know for our family since it's so big, the whole gift thing is fun, but it's also tiring. The idea about finding a way to serve is an awesome one too. If you decided to follow through with your plan, let me know how it works, we just might try it. You can inspire us all:-) Oh yeah, and let me know what you decide to call it!!!
Glad you had a good trip to and a safe return from WV.
Love ya, Amy