Tuesday, June 27, 2023

 Day 5 Gaspe', Canada


Today was a slow day. Couldn't sleep last night because I kept thinking about where we were. At least a 24 hour drive time from home. Evan actually woke before me which nevers happens. I'm early to bed early to rise.

Evan sitting on the steps of our Inn. After breakfast we headed to Forilon National Park in Gaspe' about a 40 minute drive away. The pictures do not do it justice. When the clouds blew away it was breathtaking.
At first the weather was really socked in with fog. Not smoke, just fog.
We stopped by an old homestead which was pretty much how it was lived in. These people were cod fisherman. After the cod was caught it was cut in half and dried on racks in the sun. Since the wind constantly blew it took the cof fish to dry in a little more than a week as long as it was sunny. A hard life was lived to make ends meet and to feed a family.




This home was built in the 1870's and housed a set of triplets, twins and single children to make a total of 11. I guess date nights were spent a little differently those days. They burned 30-40 cords of wood each year and they would deal with 15 feet of snow each winter. They sure were hardy people. 
The house set on the right. No word whether any children we lost over the side.  


The barn on the homestead. Beautiful views. I can't even imagine living such a hard life.




 
.This coastline is to our right and left. It feels like we are on Ireland coast.



It was pretty windy today and crisp in the 50's. Felt invigorating.

This flower is all over the peninsula. It's called a "cow parsnip". Apparently the root is good to eat, but since I don't even eat the parsnips I've had as a child, I think I'll pass! ๐Ÿ˜›

It's 9:30 and I'm tired. Good night to my special friends and family. 

Love you all.  ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š 




2 comments:

Master Casual said...

Liz and I would live here in a heartbeat. We are getting tired of the rat race and really want to live more rural. This is absolutely gorgeous. I hope you slept better last night!

Sharon Fogarty said...

Hey GCF, I did sleep better thank you! I get it. I pray you guys can do that.
I love and miss you. The 7th is close!