Monday, May 07, 2007

Fogarty's and Cook's meet

It feels very official now. We had lunch with the in-laws yesterday at their home after church and met the whole family. A little awkward at first, but then they brought out the guns. A weapon and a little target shooting can unite a bunch of guys quicker than anything else I know. We had a lovely lunch together and the afternoon melted into early evening much too quickly.
As we said our goodbyes to everyone Tyler turned to me and said, “Well Mom, soon I will be adding my goodbyes as well.” He had no idea how much that stung. He has been in my home longer than most, for which I am grateful, yet, knowing quite soon he will be living somewhere else where he will soon have to choose where he spends his holidays, Mother’s Day and even where he will sit in church. I will never make him choose to be here, but I will always be grateful if he chooses to be. This is certainly a bittersweet time. I have released him from my home, but I am struggling letting him go from my heart. Oh, I know he will always be my son and I am confident he will always love his mother, but it changes doesn’t it? I am blessed with a wonderful daughter-in-law who loves my son and for that, my heart is filled. I always prayed my boys would marry someone who would cherish, value and care for them unconditionally. It seems to me my prayer was answered with this one. I praise God.

2 comments:

Paul Martin said...

Sharon, Looks like we both are seeing this transition of our boys to men. My recent post discusses Robert joining the church. http://farmviewer.blogspot.com/

Miss you guys,

-- Paul

Master Casual said...

Awww, Mom! I love you!

I liked the guns!!! They really helped unite our conversation! lol

Cheers!